I went vegan a few months ago and have been completely happy with my dietary change. I made the switch mainly for health reasons, but there are many different reasons people choose to be vegans: health, animal cruelty, lighter ecological footprint, and/or easing world hunger for people (it takes a lot of grain and water to keep livestock fed.) I will focus on the health benefits of veganism.
Would you like a side of hormones and antibiotics with that burger and fries? There is no longer any Farmer Johns raising happy cows and pigs for our dinner plates. He has since been replaced with factory farms that raise animals in deplorable conditions.
- Thousands of animals are confined to small, dirty cages or stalls where they can barely move.
- Conditions are so dire that animals are kept alive with the use of antibiotics.
- Animals are given growth hormones that help grow them up bigger and faster to get them to market quicker and make the companies more money.
- Some animals are too sick to walk on their own, so they get moved with trucks…but they still will end up in the food supply.
- Many times meat has to be irradiated (zapped with ionizing radiation which may include gamma rays, electron beams and X-rays) or treated with ammonia to kill bacteria or parasites…stuff that has grown because of how the animals are raised.
After reading and researching about many of the issues that go along with raising livestock, it nearly made me sick. Even before I went vegan, I thought I was pretty meticulous about what I put into my body. But once I started learning about how animals were raised and all the drugs and hormones that were being put into the food supply, it was a no-brainer for me to make a change.
- Meat and dairy products contain high amounts of saturated fats. By eliminating the source of sat fats, you are reducing your chances of heart disease and high cholesterol.
- Animal proteins are harder for your body to digest and eliminate. By decreasing them, you decrease your chances at certain cancers: colon, prostate, breast.
- Many people tout the benefits of dairy in staving off osteoporosis, but check the stats. Countries with the highest amounts of hip fractures also have the highest amounts of dairy consumption. (The dairy industry is lying to us!)
- Meat and dairy create an acidic environment in your body. Diseases are able to thrive in an acidic environment. An alkaline system, which is promoted with a diet of mainly fresh fruits, veggies, and whole grains, creates an environment which makes it harder for diseases to thrive.
Some other good stuff!
- Eating fruits and veggies are a lot easier to digest, gives you more energy from food, instead of the “ITIS.”
- If the body is using less energy for digestion, it can use more towards weight loss, skin repair, hair growth, and other body functions.
- More energy in general, means more energy for workouts!!
- Eating less meat and dairy means that you are eating less fat, so you don’t work as hard to lose weight and fat.
- Erectile dysfunction is a sign of compromised blood circulation. So increase your fruits and veggies and decrease the chances of ED…:D