1. having an interest in something; concerned: Interested members will meet at noon.
2. having the attention or curiosity engaged: an interested spectator.
3. characterized by a feeling of interest.
I’m interested in learning French.
I’m interested in starting a fitness regime.
I’m interested in changing my diet.
1. to pledge (oneself) to a position on an issue or question; express (one’s intention, feeling, etc.): Asked if he was a candidate, he refused to commit himself.
2. to bind or obligate, as by pledge or assurance; pledge: to commit oneself to a promise; to be committed to a course of action.
3. to entrust, especially for safekeeping; commend: to commit one’s soul to God.
I’m committed to taking French lessons 3 times a week.
I joined a running club because I have committed to running a marathon.
I am committed to changing my diet. I brought my family on board, bought some Tupperware, and researched new ways to eat our favorite meals.
An interest is more like a feeling and it is passive. It requires no action to be interested in something. Hell, I am interested in being a millionaire. That isn’t enough to make me a millionaire. To commit is to put some action behind a decision and an actual plan. Now if I really wanted to become a millionaire (which would be nice), I would have to commit to the work. Put a plan in place. What kind of good or service will I provide? What is my time frame? I can’t just think about it, I have to put some action behind it.
The same thing holds true for your health. Everyone can say they want to be healthier or fitter. But not everyone will put the action into it. This year move from interested to committed. Find an activity that you really want to tackle or an event you want to tackle: a 5k race, a kickboxing class, swimming lessons. And put a gameplan in place. My personal commitments for the year are to compete in a figure competition. I have committed to a diet and exercise routine, an actual date, and progress posts to my blog. After my competition I am committed to learning how to box and running a marathon. I haven’t yet planned out my course of action for those 2 endeavors, but it will be done! What are you committed to?